Enka Middle Community School
A community school is both a place and a set of partnerships between the school and other community resources. Its combined focus on academics, health and social services, youth and community development, and community engagement leads to improved student learning, stronger families, and healthier communities.
Through the support of United Way of Asheville Buncombe County’s Middle School Success Initiative, Enka Middle School is becoming a community school. Students and families at Enka Middle have access to community volunteers for before-school and lunchtime tutoring and mentoring, in-class student enrichment programming, after-school parent and family programming, and a number of beautification and school improvement projects. This year we are thrilled to partner with many local agencies to be able to host the following programs at Enka Middle:
- Homework Diners – These events will include a catered meal offered to the community once a week. In addition to a free meal provided by Green Opportunities, we will also have teachers available to provide homework help, representatives from Self Help Credit Union to offer financial services, and other community representatives present to provide services and resources.
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program) Teen Groups – Weekly parenting education and support classes, specifically for parents of pre-teens and teens; provided in both English and Spanish.
- Adult GED and Literacy Classes – Weekly GED prep and basic literacy classes for adults in the community.
- Who Got You Through? – This campaign recruits community volunteers to serve as tutors and mentors for students.
- Mental Health Services – Mental health professionals will be available for students in need who are unable to afford these services elsewhere.
All of the services are provided at no cost to the school, students, families or community members, and we hope many in the Enka-Candler community will take advantage of these programs. We look forward to continuing to grow our offerings, so keep an eye out for communication throughout the year informing you of new events, as well as opportunities to help out. If you are interested in volunteering or would like additional information about any of the programs, please contact Kyle Garrett at email@example.com.